13 June 2011

Super 8

Super8-Still-3-620x398

Put ET and Cloverfield in a blender, and you’ll get Super 8. I’m pretty sure that’s what JJ Abrams was going for from the start, as evidenced by getting Spielberg to produce it, and making the primary cast mostly kids; I’d say the formula worked pretty damn well.

A small group of kids with various kinds of family problems are trying to make a zombie movie on their Super 8 camera when a train crashes in frame and leads to a bunch of weird, scary stuff that the kids end up understanding better than most of the adults. It’s a definite formula, but done right it really resonates with the nostalgia centers of our brains, especially when the kids doing the acting know what they’re doing, which certainly seems to be the case here. The small group of distinct, likeable characters creates an atmosphere of caring and curiosity unlike anything I’ve seen in quite a while; I should probably watch The Goonies at some point.

The monster part was very well done too. I really liked Cloverfield, and figured from the start that this movie would have some similarities given JJ Abrams’ involvement. I wasn’t disappointed. It’s presented in much the same way, just a little bit at a time until the end, where we still don’t get long looks but enough to get a general idea. I thought the CGI was good too.

It might not be the most plausible of stories, and there are definitely a bunch of moments requiring a healthy dose of disbelief-suspension, but it’s just such a likeable movie that going on about its faults is a pointless venture. You want to see this movie.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want to see this movie.

Unless...

Like I read on rottentomatoes the day of the release it has nothing resembling an ending. Thoughts on this?

The Blaggernaut said...

Also that was me.

The Blaggernaut said...

Okay, I thought I posted an anonymous comment by accident but it didn't show up.

I want to see this, unless like I read on rottentomatoes on the release day it lacks anything resembling an ending. Thoughts?

Scott said...

I don't know what those people are talking about. See similarity to ET.

The Blaggernaut said...

Will you compare it to something else? I've never seen ET.

Scott said...

Well, you should do that. It's similar to ET because it's trying to be; I guess maybe Free Willy? It's not a complex ending, and I suppose it might not be as rewarding as some people would have liked, but it's still an ending.