02 September 2010

The American

GEORGE-CLOONEY-THE-AMERICAN

Not sure why I thought this would be an action movie. I guess I didn’t pay a whole lot of attention to the trailer, even though I thought it made the film look pretty good. Turns out there’s very little action, but that is not in the slightest a bad thing.

This is a a slow paced romantic tragedy in the trappings of a thriller. George Clooney plays a somber secret-agent-like fellow, although he doesn’t really seem to be your traditional James Bond type at all, aside from his tendency to attract beautiful women at every turn. This turns out to be his problem. He can’t stop it with the ladies, and they keep cramping his style. The focus on his tortured romantic side makes me think this movie was made largely for women, but then there are many man-pleasing moments too so mostly it was probably just made to be a good movie.

There are some actiony-bits here and there, and they’re done very well. I want to compare it to The Bourne Identity, but I think that’s just because I love it so much; it’s not really that similar. This is a slow, beautiful film with lots of heartache, mistrust, self-doubt, regret, and an ending befitting everything previous. I think I can say this is the best Clooney movie I’ve seen.

No comments: