02 January 2009

The Walking Dead


Zombies are always fun. I'm not all that knowledgeable on the classic zombie, and I haven't seen all the major movies, but I usually enjoy anything having to do with them. This is no exception.

The Walking Dead is an ongoing comic series dealing with a bunch of people trying to survive a zombie-infested apocalypse. It started in 2003, and a new comic is put out pretty much every month. I just started reading a few days ago and I'm all caught up, now issue 56. It's been quite a read.

This comic isn't great just because it's a zombie rag; no, it's much more than that. It's a an essay on the human condition. Of course I might just be talking out of my ass there. I don't really know anything about the human condition apart from what I've seen in various (mostly fictional) media. Anyway I think that's why it's so gripping. It has a realism not found in any other undead drama. Anyone can die, not just the red-shirts. Sure; they drop like flies, but the well-developed characters can get the axe just about as easily. People go insane, there are sadistic dictators serial killers, inner turmoil to the max, and lots of really cool gore scenes.

The zombies are in the Romero style as far as I can tell; I haven't seen much Romero. They're slow, mostly brainless, and have a taste for living flesh. It doesn't seem restricted to humans though; some animals are tragically torn apart from time to time. Gruesome stuff.

The characters are great. This Robert Kirkman dude is a fantastic writer. I wouldn't say he quite hits Moore levels but gosh darnit he's good.

Once again my writing capacity is severely lacking. I blame school. CURSES!