05 July 2008

Bioshock

This game is great. I'm not sure it rivals Half Life, but it gets darn close if it doesn't. It might if I had read anything by Ayn Rand and had an appreciation for objectivism, a concept of which I still don't have a complete grasp. Apparently much of the game is based on it. Anyway; it's a fantastic take on a first-person-shooter with an actual message and moral issues. Amazing graphics, especially the water effects and stylized character models.

It's a spooky sort of game. It made me jump in my seat a few times when corpses decided that they were actually alive and wanted to kill me for my bodily fluids. Very dark and dirty. I guess you might call it an RPG in a sense, as it had several elements of the genre. You are playing the role of a specific character whose story is quite interesting, and there is a sort of leveling system via various vending machines that allow you to improve yourself and your weapons. That part was one of the most fun bits.

I got the PC version of course, seeing as I don't own any consoles. I just built a new computer and it handles it pretty great. I ordered a new cooler for the graphics card because it keeps freezing the system randomly, I assume due to overheating. I was disappointed to discover that the achievement system was left out of the PC version; something to do with it not having Windows Live. I don't see why that would matter.

I went through the first round mostly rescuing the little sisters. This route aligns with the human rights aspect of objectivism. Next round I'm doing hard mode and I plan on harvesting them all; the pursuit of selfish happiness.

UPDATE: Finished my second run last night. The ending was pretty badass; instead of a happy life with the little sisters, you become a warmongering evil and unleash the splicers on the landlubbers. There is apparently a third ending that doesn't differ much from this one except for the tone of the voiceover. I won't be going through it again for a while, but I'll probably try for that one when I do. There will be a PS3 release later this year with possibly improved graphics; hopefully some of those improvements will be available for the PC version as well.

There have been rumors that Bioshock II will be a prequel accounting the times before the downfall of Rapture. This makes a lot of sense since there really isn't much that could be done past the ending of the first one. It will probably be a 2009 release; I'm looking forward to it wholeheartedly.

2 comments:

The Horns and the Hawk said...

bioshock is a really pretty game. i read somewhere that said water and fire are the holy grails of computer animation, as they're the hardest to make look convincing. this game snatched the holy grails off the shelf, ran home, and used them to poor itself some juice.

on this new computer you built - is it xp or vista? i'm looking for a new pc of sorts, and having no ability to build, i'm looking at pre-fab stuff. at any rate, all the pc's still have vista on them, and i've heard that's like having aids without renting multiple prostitutes first.

so, which is it you got?

Scott said...

I put Vista Ultimate 64 on it. It hasn't been too bad so far. I had some troubles with permissions carrying over from XP on my drives, but not that big of a deal. I disabled UAC pretty quick though. It's extremely annoying.

The main reasons I went for Vista with this install are the 64 bit processor and 4 gigs of RAM. I think XP 64 might be able to handle those, but I like the shiny new interface too. If your machine doesn't have crazy stats, I'd go with XP.