19 February 2008

Batman: The Killing Joke


It seems my foray into comic land continues. DC has put out some darned good stuff, and I haven't really looked at much of it. The recent drama with Heath Ledger's death prompted me to read up on The Dark Knight, and apparently both Batman Begins and this upcoming film are largely based on The Long Halloween, which I will be reading shortly. Ledger's character also draws from this comic.

This is fantastic. Better than the previous comic I reviewed, I think. It has the whole origin thing for The Joker, which I always like, and partially for that reason he's given a much more human face; I use the term "face" in a metaphorical sense of course, he's still the ghastly nightmare we all love. Anyway, you really empathize with The Joker, as his story plays out as a sad, unfortunate one. The overall feel of the book is quite dark, altough not nearly as much as Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth for example, which I read a while back. That was quite a trip.

This kind of adult-comic style is very alluring to me. For some reason I think I'm enjoying comics more now than I did as a kid; of course I've only just started, and these are pretty much the cream of the crop.

I am very much looking forward to The Dark Knight. RIP Heath Ledger.

3 comments:

Adrenaline said...

What's the point of deleting comments if they don't actually get deleted? Anyway, The Long Halloween is part of the basis for the films along with Year One, which was made by Frank Miller of Sin City and 300 and all that, long before he went fucking insane and made "All Star Batman and Robin the Boy Wonder". Apparently they were pretty good but I'm slow about getting to interesting comics.

The Horns and the Hawk said...

i would recommend picking up the watchmen by moore, i think it is. that comic blows mmy mind to think about.

Scott said...

Hehe, beat ya to it.